In the USA, the criminal justice process varies from state to state unless the case is federal. There are several steps involved in the criminal justice process, beginning with a criminal investigation and ending with conviction or acquittal. This system involves a set of investigation agencies, several processes and rules set up by government to investigate criminal acts and impose penalties on the convicted.
Steps in the criminal justice process:
- The criminal justice process begins with a crime or compliant.
- Based on the evidence, the police identify the suspect and perform an arrest.
- After arrest, the accused can usually apply for bail.
- If the suspect is charged, the officials will initiate the court trial.
- After this, the accused can hire a criminal defense lawyer for representation.
- If the accused pleads guilty, then the criminal defense lawyer may request a plea bargain, which will reduce the final sentence.
- Otherwise, the defense lawyer collects evidence to prove the client is innocent.
- If the jury finds the accused guilty, then the accused has to face the sentencing. Otherwise, the accused goes free.
- If any side is not satisfied with the judgment, they can appeal and challenge the judgment.
New Jersey criminal defense lawyer
Criminal Defense Attorney and Jersey City lawyer Joel Silberman focuses exclusively on Criminal Defense. Some of Joel’s most notable Adult and Juvenile cases involved charges related to Homicide, Gun Offenses, Aggravated Sexual Assault, Trafficking Narcotics, Fraud and Aggravated Assault. Call Joel at 201-273-7070 or Toll Free: 800-889-3129 or send e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Office is located at 549 Summit Ave, Jersey City, NJ 07306. Visithttp://www.joelsilbermanlaw.com/ for more information.
Disclaimer: The contents of this page are general in nature. Please use your discretion while following them. The author does not guarantee legal validity of the tips contained herein.